Total Pageviews

Friday, October 29, 2010

Life Changes

As days grow shorter and the temperature struggles to maintain warmth the beach loses its attraction to many. Therefore, the dive in occupancy has driven the owners of the motel to the decision to once again close until spring. Not wishing to go through another off-season on unemployment I checked Craigslist on-line job postings where I found an opportunity posted by the Beachmere Inn, in Ogunquit, for a year-'round "Front Desk Clerk/Night Auditor" position. With some trepidation I indicated my interest in the position, enclosing my resume. During a subsequent phone call from the Beachmere's Operation Manager an interview was scheduled, my references were checked, I was offered the position, and I accepted.

Training commenced immediately and that resulted in my working the early shift at the Cutty Sark, 8 AM - 2:30 PM, dashing home to change shirts and ingest dinner before my 4-10 PM (or later) shift at the Beachmere. After nearly 14 years at the Cutty Sark, being totally familiar with people, facilities and procedure, the transition to bottom rung of the ladder is indeed interesting and challenging but not unfamiliar. My decision to relocate to Maine from southern California, 15 years ago, required a similar transition from experienced corporate management to entry-level production work. I weathered that and I will make it through this change. Personal change is challenging, it revives interest in life and motivates one to keep moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment